Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gingrich's food stamp obsession

I'm going to be brief because I really wanted to blog about my husband's political sense of humor, e.g., Mitt Romney is Might Robme and if elected becomes Will Robme.

If I hear one more word from Newt about Obama being the "food stamp president" I may have to find one of Newt's mansions and begin an occupation. (I'd also want to ask Callista where she buys her hair helmets. Sorry. I guess if I were married to Newt my hair would become rigidly cemented in place too.)

About five years ago when my life took a u-turn I found myself out of work. At first it wasn't too bad because I'd foolishly cashed out my retirement fund thinking I could buy it back in a flash when I secured another state job----ha ha ha, what a joke. Eventually I found myself in need of . . . EVERYTHING, including food. Thank God, I have family and friends who are extremely generous and understanding. But in the process of trying NOT to be totally dependent on people who cared more about my life than I did at the time, not only did I apply for utility assistance and sell my plasma, but I applied for food stamps. Now, I was told by my (wonderful) case worker that Bush changed the requirement guidelines so that no one had to show his bank statements. I tried to verify that information online, but was unsuccessful. However, I can say, I was not required to turn over bank statements (not that I had anything in the bank). My case worker said Bush wanted to see to it that anyone, of any class could be eligible for the program without having to use up his last asset, to which I say, "Thank'ee sai." (see: Dark Tower)

I quickly received a rather large chunk of change in the form of a food stamp card with which to fill my pantry. Thereafter I was allotted around $100 a week until I, ironically, was hired as a cashier at a grocery store.

The store where I worked was in an interesting location. The richest and poorest in that end of town shopped there. I wish I'd kept better notes for my sociological study, but I was usually too depressed to think about much other than collecting my meager wages and praying my car didn't break down. 

I did keep some mental notes about the store's customer base, however. To the best of my recollection the food card users came in all ages, races, male and female. It seemed to me the majority of WIC customers were of the Caucasian variety. WIC is a government program allowing low-income parents to obtain specific food items, mostly from the food pyramid and no junk food. This was especially helpful for new mothers as formula costs are astronomical.

Believe me, none of these customers (especially the WIC recipients) were happy to be using government assistance. For the most part, they seemed embarrassed. Some were angry in anticipation of the cashier's exasperation over having to deal with WIC coupons, a rather complicated transaction.

So here's what I have to say to Newt: No, I'd better not say that. Okay, Newt, get some real data. And voters who applaud Newts' comments about food stamps or any government assistance program are either uneducated, uninformed, hateful or down-right stupid. Instead of cheering for Newt they should be thanking the God or gods to whom they pray that they are not in the position to be needing government assistance. They should also be thankful assistance is there should they need it. No one on this planet is immune from catastrophic events--all types of catastrophic events. Oh, if only God would plunge Newt into the life of someone in need, even for an hour, maybe he wouldn't remain so relentlessly and obnoxiously pious. Oh, for the ghosts of Christmas' past, present and future to visit all politicians who haven't a clue about real suffering and desperate need.


Okay, not so brief.

2 comments:

  1. Whats Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other users like its aided me. Good job.
    Acqua Di Gio By Giorgio Armani For Men. Aftershave 3.4 Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna. I'm a little confused by your comment.

      Delete