Sunday, January 1, 2012

Waiting For Good Snow

Funny. I really am waiting for snow, but the title then turned into Waiting For Good Snow, which brought my thoughts 'round to Waiting for Godot. I've been familiar with the title for years, but never read it . . . or saw the play. Thanks to the wonders of Googleocity I was able to find everything one would ever want to know about Waiting for Godot. Wonder of wonders, the analysis plays right into my blog:

There are many interpretations (of the title) for this. Here is one,

Since "Waiting for Godot" is an allegory written in a heartless modern tone, a theatre-goer naturally rummages through the performance in search of a meaning. It seems fairly certain that Godot stands for God. Those who are loitering by the withered tree are waiting for salvation, which never comes.

The rest of the symbolism is more elusive. But it is not a pose. For Mr. Beckett's drama adumbrates--rather than expresses--an attitude toward man's experience on earth; the pathos, cruelty, comradeship, hope, corruption, filthiness and wonder of human existence. Faith in God has almost vanished. But there is still an illusion of faith flickering around the edges of the drama. It is as though Mr. Beckett sees very little reason for clutching at faith, but is unable to relinquish it entirely. Source(s): http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/08/03/reviews/beckett-godot.html
 
AslanDec 30, 2011 6:30 AM                 http://www.gradesaver.com/waiting-for-godot/q-and-a/who-is-godot-what-does-he-stand-for-58251/

(Gradesaver looks like a worthwhile site, in case any students read this blog.)

" . . . Mr. Beckett sees very little reason for clutching at faith, but is unable to relinquish it entirely." That was the comment that caught me.

I've been feeling two shades off lately. I've been plagued by dreams filled with dishonesty and chaos and I also, quite often, see very little reason for clutching at faith. I know; someone endowed with such sparkling wit as I and who has at times expressed a desire to become a nun is plagued by disturbing dreams? Sad, but true.

But I think I've had an epiphany. If you know me you're thinking, "Oh God, another damn epiphany." This is a good one; I promise. My epiphany will sound like, "Duh!" to some, but I recognized it finally, which is important. You know; we have to see and accept our shortcomings on our own? If someone says to us, "You really ought to quit over-eating." or, "You know, you're a sloppy, ridiculous drunk." we say, "Yeah? Well screw you, pal!" But when we finally recognize those problems on our own we pat ourselves on the back for being so observant and honest with ourselves and sometimes actually go back to "pal" and apologize. 

So here's my epiphany: I must get into the habit of meditating and speaking with my Higher Power daily. (sorry antitheist friends) I can't just occasionally close my eyes and say, "Hey God, how ya doin'? You know what's in my mind, so I don't really have to tell you, right? Okay, talk to ya later." My friend, Marilyn K., is now a ward councilperson and she credits her success to asking God everyday to direct her steps. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the crux.

I don't want to see this as a resolution because resolutions are  usually things we don't really want to do or to give up. I want to see this as a pleasant, helpful part of life. I think Godot would agree.

I'm still waiting for good snow, but the forcast is quite promising and we've already gotten some--snow. (sorry snow-haters) Happy New Year!

P.S. NASA says the world will not end on 12/21/2012. Only your Higher Power knows the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment